Growing Up Is No Fun

February 28th, 2011

Poor little Rain Dog. The last twelve days haven’t been much fun at all. Just when the slabber dogs were starting to warm up to her and realize that playing all of the time isn’t so bad, this has to happen and she gets put on lock down. On the plus side, she has been getting longer and more frequent walks. And, she still gets to run with Blue since he hasn’t quite figured out that he’s a boy and she’s girl. It’s about half way over, baby girl. Then you wont have to sport anymore of my homemade diapers ever again.

Growing up is hard
Poor Rain

11 Responses to “Growing Up Is No Fun”

1. I’m calling PETA and HSUS. Poor Rain is clearly being abused! You could have at least put somethng with flowers on her.

Rain totally agrees with you. If she had a cell phone, she would let you use her minutes to make those calls.

LOL, I was going to put some flowers on them when Johnny reminded me that we were trying to repel boys, not attract them.

2. Eduardo says:

Poor guy…

3. Garrett DeHart says:

Hey guys,
    Just came across your blog and I’m very jealous and inspired.
    Have you guys tried using vegetable oil for fuel at all on your journey?
    Just wondering as I was looking into your set up and wondering if it might be possible to offset the gas costs with oil.

Thanks for the blog, hope to have my own one day.

Garrett

Thanks for stopping in, Garrett.

When we first hit the road, we had romanticized about only using veggie oil. In reality, the prices at retail locations, which were few and far between, were about 20 cents higher per gallon than diesel. We looked at ways to distill it ourselves and decided that we didn’t have the necessary room required. That was over three years ago. I haven’t really looked into it since. Things might be different now. I believe Jim and Rene over at LiveWorkDream ran veggie oil for a while.. they might still.

Please let us know how things work out for you.

4. Nicole says:

Poor thing! Is she leaving it alone?

5. John says:

If there is a thing called destiny…
    I just happened across your website by chance and I’m adding it to my favorites. I hope to use you guys as inspiration (and prove I’m not crazy) to someday find a travelling partner to share the adventures with.
    I’ve owned my own business for over 15 years and worked myself to death to live the life of the Jones’s. Over the last month and a half, I have begun selling EVERYTHING I own. I bought a Truck and a 25′ 5th Wheel and I’m going to hit the road. I plan to continue making an income from internet sales but I’m telling everyone that I’m retireing at the age of 43! LOL I keep trying to convince everyone that life is too short to live it by working your time away. I’m not waiting until I’m 65 and too old to enjoy the world.
    Two more weeks and I’m gone!!!

How awesome! Hey, as far as we are concerned, you’re not crazy. The way we see it, we would be crazy if we had continued to try and conform ourselves to the social norm.

We would love to know how things have progressed since you made this post. Have you taken the plunge? Do you have a set date? Congratulations on your new life.

• JohnSmith says:

Hi Jenn,
        It’s taken me awhile to write back and a lot has happened this summer.
        After doing a lot of research, I couldn’t pass up a deal that was offered to me by Thousand Trails RV club. I paid the $500 membership fee and that allowed me to pay $1500 for the entire year to have a home base lot at Fair View Manor in Tucson. This also allows me free camping at any Thousand Trail RV park. I know it is luxury living compared to what you guys are doing and believe me, I’d like to do it your way BUT I have some more debts to eliminate first. I did spend the summer travelling and took my son along. We spent time at Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park and Las Vegas. We also took several other trip to lakes around Arizona.
        I do have some amazing news to tell you! I now have a girlfriend that thinks exactly like us! She is a school teacher and has wanted to escape the box to live on the outside for quite some time now but didn’t know how. When I told her all about my idea and how there are others living the simple life, she said this is what she has been looking for. She will finish her Master’s degree this year and wants to be an online professor for a university. This will allow her to work from anywhere in the world!
        Our plan is to wait another 8 months and then go in halves on a larger RV. This is what I have to compromise about because I think my 25 footer is just fine. I understand that it isn’t as easy for her to give up her house ($1,100 per month) and move into close quarters. She does agree that it all makes sense not to be strapped down by your bills and have freedom to move but she needs to take “baby steps”. She has her eyes on a 37′ with triple slides. It’s fine with me if it means having a partner in crime.
        I didn’t share the “real” reason I opted out of the “normal” life. My long term plan is to live as cheaply as I can, eliminate all debts and save, save, save. In 8 years I’m going to buy a 40′ sailboat and travel the world living more like you guys are doing now. She, Lisa, is on board with this idea too!