Dutch Oven

July 21st, 2011

When we down size, probably next year, I would like to have a dutch oven (camp oven). We will probably be cooking outside a lot more than we do now, and I think that one will come in handy. I have never used one before, but I have a definite idea of what I want in one. First, it must have legs so that it can balance under it’s own measure. Next, it should be stainless steel. I would consider a clay pot, but I don’t think they make them nor do I think they will handle the heat for years to come. A recessed lid is important. I want to be able to stack coals on it with ease as I will use it for baking.. a lot! Also, I should be able to lift the lid off with a hook from a distance. Speaking of handles, the side handles must have a metal wire running between them. That wire needs to be able to support the weight a full pot while hovering over a fire for an extended period of time. The side handles should also be large enough that you can use them to carry the pot. I think that’s it. Lol.

Has anyone seen such a beast? I thought I ran across one a couple years back, but I haven’t been unable to locate another.

13 Responses to “Dutch Oven”

1. Cyndi says:

I love my dutch oven! I’ve had it for about 20 years and can’t imagine life without it.

Lodge L12DC03 Cast Iron Camp Dutch Oven 12″ 8 Qt.

Cyndi & Stumpy @ RVly Ever After
    Cyndi recently posted..Off the Grid: Life On The Mesa

• Hitek Homeless says:

I really want a stainless one. I have never touched a piece of cast iron w/o ruining it. Also, with as much fur and dander as two cats, a dog, and two people create when confined to 180sqft, it kinda of creeps me out to think of having an oily pot around the house. I can just envision a layer of nasty all over it D=. I found some stainless ones that are aussie made, but they cost $100+. If I do happen across a cheap cast iron in a thrift store, I might give it a chance. Everyone talks so highly of them, and I figure that before I spend the money on the aussie ones, I should see if I even enjoy using a dutch oven.

2. Steve says:

I’ve got a 12 quart DO if you’re interested in it. Used it on group camping trips when I lived in CA. I’m not doing a thing with it and planning on buying a 4qt one.

It has legs and a lip on the lid to hold coals, but it’s cast iron and not stainless steel. The care is pretty simple. A good scrub brush to clean and coat of oil keeps it in great working order.

I’m in San Antonio TX and if you’re Welcome to it if interested

Steve

• Hitek Homeless says:

Aww thanks, Steve. I really appreciate it. That’s quite a drive, tho. And, I think it might be a bit big for just the two of us. However….. you should totally bring it to the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January. I am sure we could put it to use there. You are coming, right? 🙂

3. alx says:

Dutch ovens seem to be all the rave at the campgrounds here, I even met a dutch oven caterer the other day and have eaten many a dutch oven meal I think a stainless one is going to be a vary rare find because the metal does not hold heat as well. good luck though

You know, I don’t think that I have actually ever eaten anything out of a dutch oven. So tell me, have they been good eats?

I know about the heat exchange difference between cast iron and stainless. I don’t think it’s as big as most people make it out to be. I’d ask anyone who claims that it is huge if they have ever placed a stainless steel dutch oven in an fire and seen the difference. I bet the answer is no. They are just going by what they have been told. Remember, I only bake with SS and I do it on the stove top in skillets! Also, the stainless steel dutch ovens are to the Aussies what cast iron ones are to Americans.

As for locating one for less than $100, you’re right. Fat chance :(.

4. Dan says:

as far as the cast iron “greasy nastiness” goes, you can just oil it up and cover it with paper towel or a towel and put it in a cupboard. it will remain mostly nasty free. Try the cast iron. heavy as a mother, cheap, and will outlast everything else you buy. nothing else compares once you have used it for awhile and built up a nice patina flavor coating.

5. WR says:

My wife uses this:

It is very efficient & can hit 350F when placed in direct sunlight. She has cooked numerous meals with it.

I really like the idea of a solar oven. A couple of years ago, a super nice women at the slabs gave me one. Unfortunately, I found it to be too small to cook any thing more than 6 cookies and too large to carry around for 6 cookies.

I wish I could have made it work. If I were to ever settle down, I would definitely have a collection of sun ovens.

I am glad that you have been able to make it work for you and would love a demonstration 😉 I’ll bring dessert!

On the other hand, I have made quite a few loaves of bread, cakes, and stews in my crock pot which is powered by a solar panel. It’s almost the same thing, right? LOL

6. Jeremy says:

I’ve ate many of meals out of a dutch oven at camp-outs. They’re some cook books you can buy that have a ton of recipes. Most recently actually just a few weeks ago my sons Boy Scout Troop made a breakfast pizza in one.

They sale liners for them that cut down on the cleaning and you can get them already seasoned. All you need to do then is prevenative maitence and it stays in perfect shape I understand.

We also had a blue berry surprise in it that weekend, which had blue berries, cake mix, and Mtn Dew that I know of. I had NEVER ate blue berries but this was delicious!!

7. razvedya says:

Go for the dutch iron oven! It’s the best, you can boiling, cook, baking, even when you put the top upside down, you have a pan.
    I’ts impervious to bad usage. If you d’ont want to mess around, you just put on fire, keeping the dirt to evaporate. Or put some hot water and boiling it, or clean with a cloth or paper.
    Put some vegetal oil to fill the pores of the iron, just like a wok, and you’re done.
    BUT NEVER, NEVER, NEVER drop cool water on it when is hot. You can surely broke the iron cast oven in pieces.