Broken

March 26th, 2011

Between my laptop being out of order and being super sick, I’ve been out of commission for a bit. I am not sure which one is worse 😉 Probably the laptop. Once again, it’s power cable is giving me trouble. This time I cannot easily fix it. Maybe if I still lived near SkyCraft (gawd, I loved that place!) and had easy access to tubs full of relays and resistors (and anything else imaginable) I could or if I had held on to the old one for parts. Instead, I just ordered an “OEM Replacement“. In all actuality, I could have repaired it on the road… for free. It would have just taken time to diagnose which component had died, searching through the many electronics that people dump in the bushes for a replacement, and soldering it in. For some reason that just doesn’t appeal to me at this moment. I hope it’s just a phase. I fixed the last one three times before it finally gave up the ghost.

Breakfast sandwich on a homemade stovetop bun

Today’s breakfast served on a stove top bun

I am not completely out of ambition (though with this cold/flu/plague I am pretty close). I have started making bread, again. However, since I am without (conventional/solar/dutch/convection) oven, I don’t do it the orthodox way. I bake on the stove. I also use my crock pot. Now that we have solar, making bread in the crock pot is even cheaper.

Well, I had a few other subjects I wanted to touch upon, but I am feeling drained and am going to go back to bed. Maybe next time.

The Truck Is In Pieces – Part II

October 3rd, 2010

Well the passenger side is done. We knew there was something wrong with it but really had no idea exactly what it was until we pulled it all apart. It appears that the axle seal failed. Dirt was then able to get inside of the bearing assembly. Once things in there were no longer smooth and flush, the axle had some play. That play caused the metal part of the busted axle seal to eat into the steering knuckle. So, after a new steering knuckle, a new Timken 515025 hub bearing assembly, a new vacuum hose, and some new ball joints (we had already bought them), the passenger side noises are all gone.

Rain and our new 515025 Timken hub assembly

We would have the driver’s side done as well, but instead of paying $60 for a tool, we are relying on a local mechanic to install our axle seals and not a single auto repair place is open on the weekends in this town. We hope to be done with the front end work tomorrow. All that we could find wrong with the driver’s side was a bad upper ball joint, a disintegrating vacuum hose, and a “drier than I would like” auto locking hub. Thankfully, unlike the passenger’s side, we only need buy one more part, an o-ring.

Lots more work to do. Come Monday, I imagine that we will get the front end back together, drain and refill both differentials, and do some triage on the turbo.

Enclosed is a picture of Rain next to our new hub bearing assembly. =)

The Truck Is In Pieces

October 1st, 2010

Front end work on our truck
Repairing our truck